iOS Control Center — A developer platform in waiting
iOS 11 has a developer platform that only Apple is building on — Control Center. From the Apple TV control, to Home automation, the Control Center clearly has a rich native development platform behind it that Apple are using to build this functionality.
- It’s customizable
- It’s order is adjustable
- Controls can offer an interactive overlay view
- Interactions in the view can run native code (e.g. Apple TV remote, HomeKit switches)
- There is consistency but customization between controls
iOS Control Center Configuration
What could you make with Command Center?
- Todo apps (I’d kill for Things!)
- Weather Indicator (surprisingly absent)
- Quick-start shortcuts (e.g. Uber Home)
- Interestingly, Command Center reminds me of the UI from the Workflow app which apple acquired
- Custom Shortcut Maker
- Bring “Bed Time” HomeKit scene up to the top level
What would you make if you could build a Command Center app?
Let's talk about it.
Head on over to Twitter and let's talk more.
Find me at @chrismaddern.